Strengthening theory with real life practice
The curriculum we teach is, therefore, a critical component of achieving all of the above goals. It must reflect our vision for education, defining not only what must be taught, but how it should be taught.
If we are to make learning meaningful, the teaching-learning process must be redesigned to meet the needs of 21st century learners. Our world is rapidly changing, mutating and evolving. Our curricula must be equally flexible if our students have to adapt to the rapid social, technological, and economic changes that are taking place.
We train our students to be problem-solvers. But we also wish to empower their creativity and critical thinking skills. Our cross-disciplinary curriculum is built on a solid foundation of research and discovery that is integrated with the Arts and Humanities.
- Exposes students to multiple disciplines in their foundation years with courses in Mathematics, Basic Sciences, Humanities, Social Sciences and Management
- Allows students to customise the curriculum as they advance into higher semesters through the Professional Elective and Open Elective courses
- Allows further course customisation through several project courses. The prestigious R&D Project Course, mandatory for all Engineering students, regardless of the programme, takes the student on a journey from concept to prototype to end-product (service, process, software or hardware) with the user in view
- Offers summer internship opportunities in industry or research institutions or at universities in India or abroad
- Offers a final six-month out of campus Industry Practice (IP) that bridges the disparate worlds of studies and of work. IP smoothens the transition from student to professional.
ICP, HSBC, Resonance
Students who apply to NU under the Early Admission Mode have the opportunity to get a head start in transitioning from school to university. NU’s special induction programmes like the Intensive Certificate Programme (ICP) and Head Start Boot Camp (HSBC) are part of the university’s focus on education being seamless – these programmes help students maintain their continuity of learning, and transition easily to university learning. The four-week long Resonance is an orientation programme that is geared to help new entrants to become part of NU’s rich academic ecosystem.