Dr Ashwini Kumar
The central component of Dr Kumar’s research has been biomaterial science, more specifically, in the field of novel drug delivery systems. The target applications of his research are formulating non-invasive and minimally invasive drug delivery approaches for better results both in terms of pharmaceutics and patient compliance. His interest also lies in the area of tissue engineering and diabetes.
Dr Kumar has authored several research and review articles in national and international journals; he is the author of several book chapters and has also authored a book. He also holds a patent.
Dr Kumar has participated in over 35 conferences/seminars/workshops and has presented his work in a few of them. He has been invited as a speaker and jury member on various national scientific platforms. He has been engaged as a reviewer with reputed journals from publishers such as Elsevier, Wiley, and Frontiers. He is a guest editor of Frontiers in Medical Technology, a focused journal from Frontiers Publications. He is a life member of Asian Polymer Association and has also been engaged with a few scientific associations as a student member.
- PhD (Biotechnology), National Institute of Technology, Raipur
- MTech (Biotechnology), National Institute of Technology, Rourkela
- BTech (Biotechnology)
- 2+ years
- Drug Design and Pharmaceutical Biotech
- Animal Biotechnology
- Stem Cell in Healthcare
- Genetics & Molecular Biology
- Genetic Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Drug Delivery
- Tissue Engineering
- Obesity & Diabetes
- Drug Delivery
Selected PublicationsView more
- Kumar A, Kumar A. Mucosal and transdermal vaccine delivery strategies against COVID-19. Drug Deliv Transl Res., vol 12, issue 5, pp. 968-972, 2022, doi: 10.1007/s13346-021-01001-9
- Kumar A, Kumar A., “The virtuous potential of Chitosan oligosaccharide for promising biomedical applications,” J Mat Res., vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 1123-1134, 2020, doi: 10.1557/jmr.2020.76
- Kumar A, Kumar A., “Fabrication of eggshell membrane–based novel buccal mucosa–mimetic surface and mucoadhesion testing of chitosan oligosaccharide films,” J Mat Res., vol. 34, no. 22, pp. 3777-3786, 2019, doi: 10.1557/jmr.2019.318
- Kumar A, Kumar A., “Development and characterization of tripolymeric and bipolymeric composite ﬁlms using glyoxal as a potent crosslinker for biomedical application,” Mat Sci Engg C., vol. 73, pp. 333-339, 2017, doi: 10.1016/j.msec.2016.12.061
- Kumar A, Vimal A, Kumar A., “Why Chitosan? From properties to perspective of mucosal drug delivery,” Int J Biol Macromol., vol. 91, pp. 615-622, 2016, doi: 10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2016.05.054
- A. Kumar, P. Thakur, and A. Kumar, “In vitro evaluation of insulin release from chitosan,” alginate macrobeads, J Pharm Innov, 2021.[Online]. Available:https://doi.org/10.1007/s12247-021-09534-9.
- A. Kumar and Kumar A., “Fabrication of eggshell membrane–based novel buccal mucosa–mimetic surface and mucoadhesion testing of chitosan oligosaccharide films,” J Mat Res., vol. 34, no. 22, pp. 3777-3786, 2019, doi: 10.1557/jmr.2019.318.
- A. Kumar and A. Kumar, “Development and characterization of tripolymeric and bipolymeric composite ﬁlms using glyoxal as a potent crosslinker for biomedical application,” Mat Sci Engg C., vol. 73, pp. 333-339, 2017, doi: 10.1016/j.msec.2016.12.061.
- C. M. Nisha, A. Kumar, A. Vimal, D. B. B. M. Pal, and A. Kumar, “Docking and ADMET prediction of few GSK-3 inhibitors divulges 6-bromoindirubin-3-oxime as a potential inhibitor,” J Mol Graph Model., vol. 65, pp. 100-107, 2016, doi: 10.1016/j.jmgm.2016.03.001.
- A. Kumar, S. K. Bharti, and A. Kumar, “In vitro characterization of mucoadhesive polysaccharide polymers tablets fabricated using,” FTIR press, Istanbul J Pharm., vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 79-82, 2020, doi: 10.26650/IstanbulJPharm.2019.0026.
Reports & Articles
- S. Verma, A. Kumar, T. Tripathi, and A. Kumar, “Muscarinic and nicotinic acetylcholine receptor agonists: current scenario in Alzheimer’s disease therapy,” J Pharm Pharmacol., vol. 70, no. 8, pp. 985-993, 2018, doi: 10.1111/jphp.12919.
- S. K. Bharti, S. Krishnan, A. Kumar, and A. Kumar, “Antidiabetic phytoconstituents and their mode of action on metabolic pathways,” Ther Adv Endocrinol Metab, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 81-100, 2018, doi: 10.1177/2042018818755019.
- P. Thakur, A. Kumar, and A. Kumar, “Targeting oxidative stress through antioxidants in diabetes mellitus,” J Drug Target., vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 766-776, 2018, doi: 10.1080/1061186X.2017.1419478.
- A. Kumar, S. K. Bharti, and A. Kumar, “Therapeutic molecules against type 2 diabetes: What we have and what are we expecting?,” Pharmacol Rep, vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 959-970, 2017, doi: 10.1016/j.pharep.2017.04.003.
- A. Kumar, C. M. Nisha, P. Nair, C. Silakari, and A. Kumar, “Current and novel therapeutic molecules and targets against Alzheimer’s disease,” J Formos Med Assoc., vol. 115, no. 1, pp. 3-10, 2016, doi: 10.1016/j.jfma.2015.04.001.
- A. Kumar, B. P. Nayak, and A. Kumar, “Obesity: Single house for many evils,” Minerva Endocrinol, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 499-508, 2016.
- A. Kumar, S. Bharti, and A. Kumar, “Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: The concerned complications and target organs,” Apollo Medicine., vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 161–166, 2014, doi: 10.1016/j.apme.2014.01.009.
Books and book chapters
- A. Kumar and A. Kumar, “Diabetes: Epidemiology, Pathophysiology and Clinical Management,” USA: CRC Press, 2020, doi: 10.1201/9781003089391.
- A. Kumar and A. Kumar, “Biomedical applications of nanosilicate composites,” in Biomedical Composites Perspectives and Applications, A. M. K. Nayak and Md. S. Hasnain, Eds., Springer: Singapore, 2021, ch. 1, pp. 1-19.
- A. Kumar and A. Kumar, “Poly (lactic acid) and poly (lactic-co-glycolic) acid nanoparticles: versatility in biomedical applications,” in Materials for Biomedical Engineering: Absorbable Polymers, V. Grumezescu and A. M. Grumezescu, Eds., USA.: Elsevier, 2019; ch. 7, pp. 199-216.
- A. Kumar and A. Kumar, “Alginate for delivery of sensitive molecules and cells for diabetes treatment,” in Polysaccharide Carriers for Drug Delivery, S. Maiti and S. Jana, Eds., Woodhead Publishing Series in Biomaterials, USA: Elsevier, 2019; ch. 5, pp. 105-126.
- A Kumar and A. Kumar, “Antimicrobial polymeric gels” in Polymeric Gels: Characterization, Properties and Biomedical Applications, K. Pal and I. Banerjee., Eds., USA: Elsevier; 2018, ch. 14, pp. 357-371.
- A. Kumar and A. Kumar, “Chitosan as a biomedical material: Properties and applications,” in Biopolymers: Structure, Performance and Applications, A. K. Mishra, C. M. Hussain, and S. B. Mishra USA: Nova Science Publishers, 2017; ch. 7, pp. 139-154.
- A. Kumar and A. Kumar, “LDH and its clinical significance; in Lactate Dehydrogenase (LDH): Biochemistry,” in Function and Clinical Significance, R. Rani and V. Kumar, Eds., USA: Nova Science Publishers, 2019
- A. Kumar and A. Kumar, “Alzheimer’s disease therapy: Present and future molecules,” in Computational Modeling of Drugs Against Alzheimer’s Disease, K. Roy, Ed., USA: Springer-Humana Press, 2018; pp 3-22.
- S. Ahmed, A. Kumar, V. K. Mishra, and A. Ghosh, “Platform chemicals and pharmaceutical industries,” in Platform Chemical Biorefinery: Future Green Chemistry, S. K. Brar, S. J. Sharma, and K. Pakshirajan, Netherlands: Elsevier; 2016., ch. 15, pp.285-306.
Awards & Recognition
- MHRD Institute Fellowship at NIT Raipur for pursuing PhD
- GATE Fellowship (2008) for pursuing MTech
- Best Poster Award at “Frontier in Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research” (PharmSci-2017) organised by Columbia Institute of Pharmacy, Raipur (Chhattisgarh) 2017
- Recognition certificate as a reviewer for the journals Diabetic Medicine (Wiley) and Biomaterials & Biosystems (Elsevier)
Professional Activities and Achievements
- GATE (Life Science; 2008) with 91.28 percentile
- CSIR-UGC NET (Life Science) Lectureship June 2011
- Playing badminton, Volleyball, Hindi Literature & Poetry